You will want thinly-sliced beef to make this sandwich. And that means the slices are less than a quarter of an inch thick. We prefer using yakiniku-cut beef because the thickness of the slices is just right.
The most basic seasoning for the beef is, of course, salt-and-pepper combo. But if you want a richer flavor, you can drizzle in Worcestershire sauce. Asian sweet soy sauce works too.
Log-shaped rolls called hoagies are traditional for making cheesesteak. We used homebaked bread for our sandwiches which is a cross between Vietnamese baguette and hoagie.
American cheese is traditional for cheesesteak sandwich; Cheez Whiz is popular. We used a combination of mature cheddar and mozzarella.
Pepper Cheesesteak Sandwich
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 300 grams top round beef thinly sliced
- 3 bread rolls
- cheese slices
- Heat one tablespoon cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Spread the onion slices in the hot oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often after the first two to three minutes, until caramelized and softened.
- Scoop out the caramelized onion and set aside.
- Preheat the broiler to 400F.
- Heat another tablespoon of cooking oil in the pan.
- Spread the julienned bell pepper in the hot oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and the edges are starting to brown.
- Scoop out the bell pepper and set aside.
- Drizzle the remaing oil into the pan, add the butter, and set the heat to high.
- Sear the beef with salt and pepper on high heat, stirring the pieces around once the meat is no longer pink.
- Split the rolls, and spread butter on the cut side of both the top and bottom halves.
- Divide the beef into three portions.
- Arrange the rolls (including the top halves) on a tray.
- Arrange one portion of beef on each of the bottom halves of the rolls, and top with caramelized onion and bell pepper.
- Lay cheese slices on top of the beef, onion and bell peppers.
- Heat in the broiler just until the cheese melts.
- Serve the pepper cheesesteak sandwiches immediately.