How do you give the brownies that marbled look? You create layers. First, you divide the chocolate chip cookie dough into two unequal portions.
The bigger portion is spread on the bottom of the baking pan to completely cover it. The brownie mixture is then poured over the cookie dough.
To give the brownies a marbled look, the remaining cookie dough is chilled then dropped in pinches on top of the brownie layer. The top will look uneven at this point but the pinches of cookie dough will soften and spread but not cover the brownie layer completely. So, when you pull the baking pan out of the oven, your uncut brownies will have have a marbled look.
Chocolate chip cookie dough brownies
For the chocolate chip cookie dough
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease a 7″ x 11″ pan and line with a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper which should be large enough to leave overhangs on all sides to make lifting the cooked baked product easily.
Make the chocolate cookie dough
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg. Beat until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture. Mix until smooth. Stir in the chocolate morsels. The cookie dough will be soft but not runny.
- Divide the cookie dough into three portions.
- Spread two-thirds on the lined baking pan.
- Chill the remaining one-third.
Make the brownie mix
- Place the chocolate and butter in a large glass mixing bowl. Heat in the microwave, at MEDIUM heat, for three to four minutes or until softened. Alternatively, use a double boiler and melt over hot water. Beat the chocolate and butter until smooth. Cool.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add the sugar and salt. Mix.
- Add the flour and coffee granules. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the brownie mix on top of the chocolate cookie dough.
- Take the chilled chocolate cookie dough out of the fridge.
- Drop by pinches on top of the brownie mix.
- Put the baking pan in the oven and bake for an hour to an hour and a half. Check after an hour for doneness by piercing the center with a toothpick of skewer.
- Cool the baked slab completely in the pan (I cooled it overnight at room temperature) before cutting the chocolate chip cookie dough brownies into squares or rectangles.