But… mazemen? Mazemen is an array of brothless ramen dishes. “Maze” means to mix; “men” means noodles. To make mazemen, noodles are tossed in sauce and various toppings, and can be served hot or cold.
In this hot mazemen recipe, the sauce is teriyaki sauce with a bit of grated ginger that was reduced until thick which essentially makes it a tare — a sauce used for dipping or glazing. Yes, it’s that thick by the time the noodles are tossed in.
Ginger is not a traditional ingredient of teriyaki sauce. But since this is a vegan dish without the richness of meat to add nuance, a little ginger-y heat is recommended although still entirely optional.
For best results, I cooked the vegetables separately in boiling water before throwing them into the mix. That way, they only needed to be heated through at the end. No danger of overcooking and turning them into a mush.
The cooked dish is richly flavored, the broccoli florets are lightly crisp and the cabbage leaves are wonderfully sweet.
Vegan mazemen with broccoli and cabbage
- 120 grams fresh ramen
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup diced white cabbage
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots or use onion
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce I used Kikkoman
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- ¼ teaspoon grated ginger
- honey to taste (optional)
- 1 drizzle sesame seed oil
- toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- Boil about six cups of water in a pot.
- Drop in the noodles.
- When the water boils again, scoop out the noodles and plunge in iced water. Drain well.
- Into the boiling water, add the broccoli florets and diced cabbage. Cook for one minute.
- Scoop out, plunge in iced water and drain.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Pour the soy sauce, sake and mirin.
- Stir in the ginger.
- Boil gently until reduced to half.
- Taste. If you want the teriyaki sauce to be a little sweeter, add honey or sugar.
- Add the noodles and vegetables to the sauce.
- Drizzle in a little sesame seed oil.
- Stir and toss alternately just until heated through.
- Top the vegan mazemen with toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.