This corned beef is home cured and homecooked. You may use store-bought, of course, but not canned.
If buying, you’ll find corned beef in the frozen section of deli shops. The meat is sold fully cured. Note, however, if it is uncooked or fully cooked. If uncooked, follow the instructions on how to prepare it.
Personally, I find home cured corned beef so much better. And so much less expensive too. But curing takes a minimum of seven days and the container with the meat and brining liquid will require space in the refrigerator. If you want to try it, the full recipe is linked to below.
Homemade slow cooker corned beef
The price of the beef brisket, spices, brining and lengthy cooking make real corned beef expensive. Cut the cost with this homemade slow cooker corned beef recipe.
For the salad vegetables, I used a combination of lettuce, bell peppers, cucumber and tomatoes. Feel free to substitute your preferred combo.
Now, what about the dressing? I really have a special preference for fruity dressings so I made a special one for this salad. A mango-based dressing. Really lovely.
Corned beef salad
- 2 tablespoons mango syrup - (see notes after the recipe)
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon plain yellow mustard
- 1 generous pinch ginger powder - or a small pinch of grated fresh ginger
- 4 to 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- ½ cup fully cooked corned beef - (homecooked or store bought) at room temperature, cubed
- 2 to 3 cups your preferred mix of salad vegetables - cut according to desired size and shape
- ½ cup herbed croutons
- In a bowl, whisk together the mango syrup, lime juice, mustard and ginger powder.
- Add the olive oil while whisking, drop by drop at first then in a thin stream. Use just enough olive oil to reach the consistency that you prefer.
- Season the dressing with just enough salt and pepper to create a good balance.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together all the salad ingredients with two tablespoons of dressing.
- Divide the corned beef and vegetable salad among four bowls (or two bowls if serving as a main course salad) and drizzle in more dressing.
- Serve at once.