Yes, the gizzards were pre-cooked and cooled before they were stir fried. Without pre-cooking them, the short cooking time over high heat wouldn’t have been enough to break their fibers to make them tender.Gizzard is extremely tough— it has to be to perform its function inside the body of the chicken.
How should the gizzards be pre-cooked? By simmering them in water, salt and pepper. If you’re bothered by the strong smell of offal, throw in a piece of ginger too. A sprig ofrosemaryworks as well! Or astalk of lemongrass. Depending on the size of the gizzards, tenderizing them should take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. After that, cool them a bit and start stir frying.
Heat up oil in a wok, throw in the gizzards, seasonings and, optionally, more aromatics. Add vegetables for color and contrast in texture. And flavor too! Pour in the sauce making sure that every inch of the surface of every gizzard gets coated. Stir fry until the gizzards have soaked up the sauce and, presto! It’s time to eat.
Chicken gizzards and Sriracha stir fry
- 300 grams chicken gizzards - simmered in seasoned water until tender then cooled
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- herb salt - only if the gizzards were under-seasoned when simmered
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 sprig rosemary - stripped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 bell pepper - diced
- 1 shallot - thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lime juice - or lemon juice
- If your gizzards are rather large, cut each into three to four portions.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Throw in the gizzards and stir fry until lightly browned in spots.
- Add the garlic and rosemary. Sprinkle in herb salt (optional) and pepper. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add the diced bell pepper and shallot. Continue stir frying for another half a minute.
- Pour in the Sriracha, honey and lime juice.
- Alternately stir and toss the gizzards to coat every piece with the sauce. When the gizzards are nicely colored and the sauce has been soaked up, taste a piece. Add salt if needed.
- Serve the Sriracha chicken gizzards stir fry immediately. As an appetizer or as a main dish with rice.