Wonderful drink. Even my husband, Speedy, our resident cocktail drinks mixer, says so. And it’s so simple to make.
Start by making simple syrup by boiling together equal amounts of sugar and water, and the zest from one lemon. Give the syrup time to cool and, at the same time, letting the lemon zest steep to impart both flavor and aroma.
If you end up with more simple syrup than what you need for your mo-tea-to, the excess can be kept at room temperature for a day or two, or for several weeks in the fridge. Just remember to strain before storing.
Next, make your tea by steeping tea leaves and mint leaves. Strain the tea, add simple syrup, rum and vodka, and stir. Drop ice cubes into cups, pour the mixed drink, garnish with more mint leaves if you wish, and enjoy.
- ½ cup white sugar
- zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon loose leaf jasmine tea
- 12 peppermint leaves - torn to release the essential oils
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ½ ounces rum
- juice of 2 lemons
- sprigs of peppermint leaves - to garnish
Make the simple syrup
- Boil together the sugar with half a cup of water and the lemon zest. When the sugar dissolves, turn off the heat.
- Cool the syrup (see notes after the recipe).
Make the mint tea
- Place the tea in a mug or bowl.
- Add the torn peppermint leaves.
- Pour in about a cup and a half of hot water.
- Allow to steep for about four minutes.
Mix the mo-tea-to
- Strain the tea into a teapot.
- Add the lemon juice, vodka, rum and about two ounces of the cooled simple syrup.
- Stir and taste. Add more lemon juice or syrup, or vodka and rum, until you come up with the most pleasing balance of flavors.
- Place some ice cubes in tea cups then fill the cups with mo-tea-to.
- Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.