It’s so easy to make but, as with many simple vegetable dishes, it is important to use the freshest vegetables. There are only two vegetables in this dish but if you want to learn more about them, check out the following posts.
Cauliflower: kinds, colors and recipes
It’s related to mustard, cabbage, Brussel sprouts and broccoli, among others. Although most people are familar with ehite cauliflower, the color can be green, yellow and purple too.
Is haricot vert the same as green beans?
Haricot vert is French for green beans. So, to answer the question in the title, if we’re going to be literal about it, yes, haricot vert is the same as green beans.
The full instructions for making the herb and spice butter are in the recipe below, but if you want to know more about flavored butter — which is so pricey when bought but is quite easy to make at home in so many ways — there is a post dedicated to that topic.
How to make herb and spice butter
Cheese comes in oh, so many flavors, especially spreadable cream cheese. Why not butter?
Make it with your favorite combination of herbs and spices. Spread it on toast, melt and drizzle over vegetables, or use it to saute or brown meat and seafood. Keep a few tubs of herbed butter in different flavors and just discover how many other ways you can use them.
Now, the recipe which takes no longer than ten minutes to prep and ten minutes to cook.
Green beans and cauliflower with herb and spice butter
- 4 tablespoons butter - softened
- ⅛ teaspoon chopped thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon chopped basil
- 1 pinch chopped chili
- ½ teaspoon grated Parmesan
- 1 large handful green beans - stringed
- 1 small head cauliflower - cut into florets
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- Mix together two tablespoons butter, ⅛ teaspoon salt, thyme, basil, chili and Parmesan. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining butter in a saute pan.
- Spread the green beans in the hot butter a single layer.
- Cook over medium heat without disturbing for a minute.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Stir them around lightly and cook for another minute.
- Scoop out the green beans and move to a bowl.
- In the remaining butter, cook the cauliflower florets with a little salt for a couple of minutes.
- Scoop out and move to the bowl with the green beans.
- In the remaining butter, saute the garlic.
- Add the green beans and cauliflower to the pan and toss around until reheated.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add the herb and spice butter, and toss until all the butter is melted and every piece of vegetable is glistening with oil.