The term stracciatella, however, also applies to other Italian food items with the characteristic shredded texture. There’s the cheese stracciatella di bufala and the stracciatella gelato which has bits of chocolate mixed in.
To differentiate the soup from the other stracciatella in Italian cuisine, it is stracciatella alla romana.
To make this Italian egg drop soup, shredded cheese is stirred into beaten eggs, poured into hot broth and is left untouched for a few seconds to partially set then stirred to create the shreds which may be wispy or on the thick side, depending on one’s preference.
Stracciatella alla Romana (Italian egg drop soup)
- Stir the grated Parmesan into the beaten eggs (you may optionally add a pinch of nutmeg and some lemon zest).
- Heat the broth until simmering.
- Turn off the heat.
- Pour the egg-cheese mixture into the broth.
- After a few seconds, stir lightly.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper (take it easy on the salt because Parmesan is salty and some of that saltiness will find its way into the broth).
- Optionally garnish with snipped parsley and serve.