As the end of the year creeps nearer, the weather in the northern hemisphere is getting colder. Here in the tropics, it will never be cold enough to warrant wearing thick clothing but on days when it rains (and it does rain most days), having soup is always a good idea.
Inspired by two dishes — Chinese-style scrambled eggs with tomatoes and tomato soup. I simply combined the two and simplified the process. And trust me when I say that this is a cheap dish. Cheap and easy to make. For many people, that is the perfect formula.
So, okay, what do you need to make this soup? Just four things, really, excluding salt and pepper.
Canned tomatoes come in several varities. Whole peeled, diced or pureed (passata). You may use any of the three but note that the texture of the soup will vary depending on your choice. I like chunky soup so I used whole peeled tomatoes. I just squished them lightly with my hand to break them into smaller but still distinguishable pieces.
Pour the tomatoes into a pot, fill the can with water and add to the tomatoes, half fill the can with more water and add that to the tomatoes too. Sprinkle in salt and pepper, turn on the stove and start heating.
While the tomatoes are heating up, open a pack of silken tofu, drain and cut into half-inch cubes. Add to the tomatoes, cover the pot and simmer for five minutes. This gives the tofu cubes time to soak up some of the salt and tartness of the tomatoes. Taste, and add more salt and pepper to get the right balance.
When you’re happy with the taste, turn off the heat. Beat eggs and pour over the surface of the soup in a thin stream. Leave for half a minute before stirring for larger pieces of egg, or stir right after pouring for wispy eggs.
Add sliced scallions, stir, and your tofu and tomato egg drop soup is ready to serve. Ladle into bowls and, optionally, garnish with more scallion slices.
Tofu and tomato egg drop soup
- Pour the contents of the can into a pot. Lightly squish the tomatoes with your hand or with a fork.
- Fill the can with water, add to the tomatoes, then half fill it with more water and pour that into the pot too.
- Sprinkle in three pinches of salt and two pinches of pepper.
- Heat and bring to a gently boil.
- Stir in the tofu cubes and allow to boil.
- Cover the pot, set the heat to low and simmer for five minutes.
- Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Off the heat, pour the beaten eggs in a circular motion on the surface of the soup. Allow to set for a few seconds then stir lightly.
- Stir in scallions and serve.