Cooking breakfast is usually a challenge here at home. Everyone’s still in lethargic mode and coffee is often the only thing that we have the energy to make.
But coffee alone is not breakfast, right? Most times, we just slap cold meat or cheese between slices of bread, often untoasted, and we just wait until someone has the energy to cook a full meal.
But, sometimes, one gets ideas, you know? Something easy but delicious. A dish that does not require a lot of prep. Like this one.
Start by pan frying bacon until crisp. Never mind that the rashers aren’t straight and flat like a ruler. You just want the meat to brown and, at the same time, render flavorful fat. When your bacon has browned to perfection, scoop out, rest on a plate and keep warm.
Reheat the bacon fat and pour in beaten eggs. Keeping the heat on medium, wait until the edges are starting to turn firm then push the sides to the center repeatedly. This gives your scrambled eggs some volume instead of staying flat. I like my scrambled eggs like that. Puffy and wet at the top. So I don’t wait until the eggs are completely dry. With the top still wet, I just turn off the heat while I prep the rice.
This is just leftover rice reheated in the microwave. While steaming hot, I dropped a dollop of pesto and stirred until all the rice grains have caught some of the pesto. With the rice, eggs and bacon ready, it was just a matter of plating and serving the dish.
Bacon, egg and pesto rice breakfast
- Cook the bacon in an oil-free pan until browned. Scoop out.
- Beat the eggs with a pinch or two of salt.
- Reheat the rendered bacon fat, pour in the eggs and cook to your liking.
- Reheat the rice for a minute on HIGH in the microwave.
- Stir the pesto into the hot rice.
- Place the pesto rice, bacon and scrambled eggs on a plate or in a bowl,and grate pecorino directly over all of them.
- Serve your bacon, egg and pesto rice immediately.