Salty, sweet and spicy with the heat coming not only from the two tablespoons of Sriracha but from a little bit of grated ginger too. It’s not a dish you’d serve to children but adults will devour these meat and vegetable parcels in no time.
The beef used here are thin slices cut like bacon rashers, but you may use slices as wide ham slices. The key here is fat. It has to be a fatty cut of beef. If you can get beef short plate and have the butcher machine-slice it, you’ll get the best results.
You will need to brown the meat in a little oil to allow the natural sugars in the meat to caramelize before adding the sauce. Browning meat gives it better texture and a richer flavor. Once the meat is nicely browned, you just pour in the sauce and add a bit of water.
You’ll need that extra liquid, trust me. The way the beef is wound around the green beans and carrots, there are several layers of meat that need to get cooked through. Without a little water, the sauce will burn before the meat and vegetables are done.
Let the beef and vegetables cook in the sauce and water. Once cooked through, just uncover the pan and continue cooking the parcels. The meat and vegetables will soak up the sauce as it thickens to give the dish a marvelous color and light crust.
Beef-wrapped green beans with soy honey Sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Trim the green beans by cutting off the tops and pulling off the strings on the sides, if there are any.
- Peel the carrot and cut into sticks about 1/4-inch wide and about as long as the green beans.
- Take 3 to 4 strips of beef and, on your work surface, arrange them in a slightly overlapping fashion.
- Place 4 to 5 green beans and 4 to 5 carrot strips near one end of the beef. Roll as tightly as you can to make sure that the vegetables don’t fall out when you move the parcel around.
- Repeat until all the vegetables have been wrapped.
- In a measuring bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wide frying pan.
- Arrange the meat-and-veggie parcels in a single layer in the hot oil.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the sauce. Add two tablespoons water. Swirl the pan around a few times to distribute the liquid.
- Turn down the heat to low. Cover the pan. Let the meat-and-veggie parcels cook in the steam for about five minutes.
- Remove the cover of the pan. Turn up the heat to medium. Continue cooking the meat-and-veggie parcels, turning them around, until the sauce is thick and sticky and coats the beef well.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on the beef and vegetable rolls.
- Cook the beef over high heat, giving the parcels quarter turns for even browning.
- Serve your beef-wrapped green beans with soy honey Sriracha sauce immediately.