Yes, we keep pesto in the fridge. Not always, but often. Right now, because we just harvested plenty of basil, we have a large jar of pesto in the fridge. Once the monsoon season is in full swing, we’re not likely to harvest as much and as often. Until then, it’s pesto season galore at home.
Don’t have homemade pesto? That’s okay. You may use pesto from the grocery. So long as it’s good quality, your chorizo and pesto rice will taste great.
This is an easy and fast cooking one-pot dish and one-bowl meal that you can make for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you want a rather heavy snack, it’s perfectly filling too.
You’ll want a truly flavor-packed sausage for this rice dish. No hotdogs or canned sausages. You won’t need the sausage skin here so just discard it. Roughly chop the sausage meat and fry to render fat. Then, toss in the rice.
Once the rice is heated through, turn off the heat, add the pesto and toss until fully blended.
Chorizo and pesto rice
- Slit the sausage, peel off the skin and discard.
- Roughly chop (or crumble) the sausage meat.
- Heat a non-stick pan and spread the sausage meat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and fat has been rendered.
- Add the rice to the sausage and cook, tossing, until heated through.
- Off the heat, add pesto and toss to blend.