What is grass jelly? The texture is similar to gelatin but, unlike gelatin, grass jelly is not made from animal collagen.
Grass jelly is made by boiling a plant called Mesona Chinensis with starch or rice flour. Don’t worry though if you can’t find the plant itself. Grass jelly is widely available in canned and powdered form.
And for those who are conscious about their intake of fat, the good news is that grass jelly has zero fat.
The not so good news is that it has no vitamins and minerals either. That’s why the best way to enjoy grass jelly is to mix it with something nutritious like milk.
Grass Jelly Milk Tea
- 1 can grass jelly
- ½ cup brewed oolong tea cooled
- 1 ½ very cold milk
- honey or sugar to taste
- Open the can of grass jelly. Run a knife around the jelly to loosen then tap into a cutting board. Cut the grass jelly into half-inch cubes.
- Place about ¼ cup of glass jelly into two mugs. Keep any excess in a covered container and keep in the fridge.
- Stir together the cooled oolong tea and milk. Add enough honey or sugar to suit your taste.
- Pour the milk tea into the mugs and serve.