Some recipes add triple sec; others include a wee amount of orange liqueur for depth. Even the orange juice can be substituted with some other citrus juice.
What cannot be excluded is sparkling wine. Champagne is traditional but remember that champagne is just a regional designation for sparkling wine produced in Champagne, France.
You can make mimosa with other sparkling wine like prosecco and asti (from Italy), espumante (from Portugal) or cava (from Spain).
Kaffir limes (we have a tree that bears fruit prolifically) were used to make this drink.
Lime juice mimosa
- 3 limes
- sugar to taste
- sparkling wine well chilled
- Squeeze the juice from the limes. Strain, if necessary.
- Stir in enough sugar to create a good balance with the tartness.
- Divide the sweetened lime juice among three glasses.
- Pour chilled sparkling wine to fill up the glasses.
- Serve the lime juice mimosa at once.