In this recipe, snow peas, zucchini and bell pepper join leftover crispy pork belly in a stir fry to create a main course. And to make the dish even more appetizing and filling, the stir fried dish was served with halved hard-boiled eggs on the side.
If you’re wondering how in the world there can be leftover crispy pork belly when serious carnivores (like us) devour it like crazy, well… We do love crispy pork belly here at home but, sometimes, when the craving is too great, we tend to go overboard and air fry a slab too large to be consumed in one meal.
If you’re a crispy pork belly afficionado, you’ll know that when it gets cold and you reheat it, the skin does not reacquire the same newly-cooked crispiness. So, you need to get creative to make the most of it.
Consider this recipe as a template. If snow peas, zucchini and bell pepper are not among your favorite vegetables, you can always choose a different combo. Asparagus, carrot, green beans and mushrooms are just among the many substitutes worth considering.
Crispy pork belly, snow peas and zucchini stir fry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil
- 1 onion - thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger - grated
- ½ teaspoon chilies - chopped (or ¼ teaspoon dried chilies)
- ½ cup snow peas - trimmed
- ½ cup zucchini sticks - (cut a little bit thicker than julienned)
- ¼ cup bell pepper - (red, green or yellow — it doesn’t matter), julienned
- 2 pinches sugar
- 1 splash rice wine - (not rice wine vinegar)
- ½ cup crispy roast pork belly - thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 drizzle sesame seed oil
- sesame seeds - toasted, to garnish
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Saute the onion, garlic, ginger and chilies just until fragrant.
- Add the snow peas, zucchini and bell pepper. Season with a little salt, pepper and sugar. Stir fry for half a minute.
- Add a splash of rice wine. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the wine has evaporated (the steam that the wine creates will cook the vegetables; the deep flavors of the wine will give them a richer taste).
- Add the crispy roast pork belly slices.
- Drizzle in the soy sauce.
- Stir fry just until the meat is heated through.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with a little sesame seed oil. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve at once.