What rice variety is ideal for this dish? Any kind of rice so long as it isn’t glutinous. You want the grains to be separate before the cheese is added so that when the cheese melts, the mixture will be sticky in just the right way.
I used brown rice but white, red or black will do just as well. For best results, check out the linked article below.
What variety of mushroom is good? Any, really. Ideally, fresh mushrooms sautéed in butter. But I had no fresh mushrooms so I used canned. The rice dish still turned out very tasty.
And the cheese? I opted for a mixture of Edam and mature cheddar. Feel free to use your preferred cheese.
Full recipe below
Cheesy Mushroom Rice
- 1 cup very hot newly-cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon butter - at room temperature
- sliced mushrooms - (I used canned), drained well
- ¼ cup grated cheese - plus more to garnish
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
- salt - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- snipped parsley - to garnish
- In a bowl, stir together the rice and butter until the butter is melted and every grain of rice is glistening.
- Add the mushrooms and stir.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Sprinkle in some salt and pepper.
- Add the parsley and stir.
- Top with more grated cheese and snipped parsley before serving.