While gizdodo has ripe plantain, saba banana is used here because that is the default cooking banana in the Philippines. Choose ripe but not overripe saba bananas which are sweet but still firm enough to be cut and fried without falling apart.
Of course you have to make this dish with pre-cooked gizzards. You need to simmer them before you start stir frying. Otherwise, the gizzards will be tough as hell. With the gizzards already cooked to tenderness, the rest of the steps happen fast and the dish can be cooked in 12 minutes.
The gizzards are sauteed with chopped onion. Then, two generous pinches of thyme and a generous pinch of turmeric are added. For a nice bite, a generous amount of cayenne go in too.
With the gizzards now beautifully flavored and colored, the bell peppers are added. When the bell peppers are done and the seasonings have blended together, toss in the fried saba bananas. And that’s it! Your chicken gizzards and saba banana stir fry is ready to be devoured.
Chicken gizzards and banana stir fry
- 300 grams chicken gizzards - simmered in salted water until tender
- cooking oil
- 6 saba bananas - peeled and cut into one-inch cubes
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 pinches dried thyme
- 1 generous pinch turmeric powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne powder - depending on how hot you want the dish
- 2 to 3 bell peppers - diced
- salt - to taste
- If your chicken gizzards are large, cut each one into bite-size pieces.
- In a frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of two inches.
- Fry the cubed saba bananas until nicely browned on the edges. Scoop out and set aside.
- Pour off the oil leaving only about a tablespoonful. Reheat.
- Over medium heat, saute the gizzards and chopped onion until the gizzards are lightly browned and the onion pieces are translucent.
- Add the thyme, turmeric and cayenne. Saute for another half a minute.
- Turn up the heat. Add the bell peppers and stir fry just until done, about one minute. Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Add the fried saba bananas to the gizzards and stir fry just until heated through.
- Serve the chicken gizzards and saba banana stir fry immediately.