It’s summer in the tropics and mangoes are at their sweetest. It’s the best time to highlight recipes that include fresh mangoes among the ingredients. I’ll start with my favorite version of Margarita.
Why is this my favorite version of the drink. I love the thickness of pureed fresh mangoes. And I love even more the refreshing brightness of the mint that had been mixed into the salt to rim the glass. The first time I did that was in May of 2011 when these photos were taken. An inspired moment for me.
Now, about the fresh mangoes. Know that there are hundreds of mango cultivars. The flesh of some are watery while others have a custard-like quality. If you can get the latter, the better your mango Margarita will be. And make sure they are ripe.
Full recipe below
- 3 oz. tequila
- 1 ½ oz. Triple Sec
- 3 oz. freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- 4 oz. simple syrup - equal amounts of water and sugar heated together just until the sugar dissolves
- 1 whole ripe mango - well chilled, stoned and diced
- 3 to 4 ice cubes
- Just put everything in the blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into salted glasses and serve.